View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 16, 2005, 06:02pm
Official Forum Member

To Hotlink 501: Thanks for the info. I appreciate your input very much; I play tonight at 7 p.m., and I was wasting my time trying to find the answer to the question until I found this terrific site with its helpful members.

To BlindZebra: I realize that in women's basketball, the full-court press is applied, but rarely if ever the entire game. If a team tried to full-court-press another team in college or pros the entire game, they would very probably give up lots of points doing so because college and pro women (and men) can easily beat the press because they have point guards who can dribble and pass expertly.

But they do use the full-court-press in girls high school basketball out where I live (Orange County, California). In fact, I recently saw a game where one varsity team was leading another by 40 points in the last period and they were still full-court-pressing. To me, the winning coach was practicing poor sportmanship. He and his team were basically rubbing it in the face of the inferior squad, but I'm a believer in "What goes around comes around."

As for why I would put multiple players out of bounds. I would do so briefly, probably two or three, so the defense wouldn't know who was going to get the ball. In fact, I have a couple of plays based on having two or three girls out of bounds. If another team is going to throw a full-court press on me in a 5th/6th girls game and I don't have the best dribblers in the world, I believe it's incumbent upon me to come up with creative ways to beat the press--as long as I can get the ball in within five seconds.