View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 16, 2005, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lew Riley
I coach a couple of girls basketball teams, and in our leagues, unfortunately the full-court press may be used the entire game. (I say "unfortunately" because full-court presses aren't used the entire game in college and pro games--at least ones I've seen--so as far as I'm concerned full-game full-court pressing keeps kids from learning how to play the game "normally.")

In any case, to circumvent the full-court press, I seem to recall an official telling me that after a team makes a basket (and even after a timeout after a team makes a basket), the scored-upon team can post two, three, even four of its team members "behind the baseline" (out of bounds in other words)--as long as the team puts the ball in play within five seconds.

I've seen two players out-of-bounds after a basket is made but never more than this number. I'm pretty sure the rule is standard; can anyone help me with this rule--and in doing so, perhaps restore a little sanity to our kids' basketball games?
First, teams in college and pros can press for the entire game if they choose, so i'm not sure that the comparison holds.

Also, it is in the players best interest to have to play against the press. It may not always be fun if you are not as talented as the other team, but it still makes your players better.

We have youth leagues and even middle schools that do not allow pressing at all or until the 4th quarter. Kids get cut their first day of try outs in high school because they have played guard for 4 years and they can't bring up the ball under pressure.

On a less serious note, how would having 3 or 4 players OOB on a throw in help beat the press? If it's 4 OOB you double up on the 5.th kid and put 1 kid at half court and 1 each on the sides at the FT line extended. Even if it causes confusion once, you just zone press and trap after they throw it in.