View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 15, 2005, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by AirForceDude
NFHS
This is staight from the case book...

*9.7.2 SITUATION: A1 is standing with one foot inside and the other outside the three-second restricted area. A1 lifts the foot from the restricted area and returns it there without touching it first to the nonrestricted area. RULING: Violation. This action does not terminate the three-second count. The count goes on since merely lifting the foot from the restricted space is interpreted as an attempt to evade the rule and avoid its purpose. However, there is no three-second count during rebounding action or during a throw-in. The count on a player in the restricted area is suspended when that player begins a try for goal.
Freely translated, the 3-second count restarts by rule when the player has stepped out with both feet, and then steps back in with some part of one foot. On the line is in, although if it's the thickness of the shoe-leather, I usually don't sweat it, personally. And the count also ends when a shot goes up, and doesn't begin again until there is team possession Used to be that 3-second count was suspended when there was an interrupted dribble, but that rule changed a year or two ago, and now it continues. However, if the team with possession fumbles, and then legally regains possession in the backcourt, the 3-second count doesn't start again until the ball attains frontcourt position. There is no defensive 3-seconed violation in hs or college rules.

Those are the rules. There are a number of different interps that are observed by different assignors and associations.

Sheez, if I'd written this in a different web page, I'd get paid for it.