View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 04:29pm
In Memoriam

Man Gets Probation in Botched Castration
PITTSBURGH - A man who botched the castration of a transgendered woman will spend the next three years on probation. "I have no intention of doing this again to animals or humans," Douglas Lenhart, 49, told Allegheny County Judge John Zottola on Monday. "I'm completely out of this. Completely done."

Zottola sentenced Lenhart to jail time he had already served and will let him serve his probation in Kansas City, Kan., where he now lives.

Prisoner Rape in the News

Mike Wereschagin, Guard Convicted in Earlier Sex Case, Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, February 4, 2004.

An Allegheny County Jail guard awaiting trial for trading cigarettes for sex with female inmates was fired in 1995 after an indecent assault conviction but later reinstated.

The fact that Joseph Addison, 54, of Hazelwood, regained his county jail job despite serving three years of probation stunned his first victim.

"I don't understand how he could get his job back," said the woman, now 22, of East Liberty, in an interview with the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. The newspaper does not identify victims of sexual assault.

Judge John Zottola convicted Addison of indecent assault and harassment for groping her, when she was only 13, in October 1994 at his home. Zottola sentenced Addison to three years' probation, which is within the standard range of state sentencing guidelines.