View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 12:41pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by whistleone
Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
If the horn blew before the shot, no foul. If the shot was released prior to the horn, or if the foul occured before the horn, shoot the shots.
Shoot the shots with the lane clear and let the chips fall.
The foul makes the ball dead, not the whistle (Basketball Rules Fundamentals #16). Continuous motion also applies here. If A2 starts the act of shooting before the horn, A2 is allowed to "complete customary arm movement, and if pivoting or stepping when fouled, may complete the usual foot or body movement in any activity while holding the ball. These privileges are granted only when the usual throwing motion has started before the foul occurs and before the ball is in flight." (4-11 Art. 2)

To sum up, foul occurs before the horn; report foul. If player was in the act of shooting before the foul is committed, A2 shoots 2 free throws. If not, period over.
I think the only point of contention I have here is with the following chronology.

1. A2 starts his shooting motion.
2. Horn blows.
3. B1 hits A2's shooting arm in what would be a foul.
4. A2 releases shot.

I've got no foul here.

So, back to my original premise. If the shot is released before the horn, a foul after the horn may be called if an airborne shooter is involved. If the shot is not released before the horn, then the fould must have been committed before the horn.