View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 25, 2000, 04:18am
Official Forum Member

You have three questions and must tell why!
1. How are you going to start the 2nd game and what rule or lack or rule will you refer to?
Rule 2, Sec 2 is specific in defining the officials jurisdiction. At least 15 minutes prior to the start of the game and after the final score has been approved and you have left the visual confines of the playing area (2,5.7) Therefore you have no jurisdiction of the next game. Because this is a tournament, the next teams are not covered under Rule 2, Sec 8.1, which may let you enforce an unsportsmanlike conduct due to this definition of player, coach, substitute, team attendant or follower.
You are however; allowed to control action during the intermission of your game. Rules do not specifically cover action such as this type of activity during the intermission but, Rule2, Sec 3 gives the referee authority to make decisions not specifically covered in the rules. This would allow the referee to disallow any activity that may seen hazardous to any player, future player, spectator, cheerleader, etc...

2. What particular rule or lack of rule are you going to refer to when one of the kids files a lawsuit against you because he permanently disfigured a finger while dunking the ball?
I would personally not allow this type of activity during the intermission for 2 reasons: #1- These players may damage the backboard or ring if excessively dunking the basketball, or collapse a portable backstop. Good game administration should not allow over zealous activity that may result in damage or injury. #2- The possibility of injury is quantified by the inherent risk invloved with dunking/grabbing the rim. Just inside the front cover of all NFHS publications in a bordered statement that justifies the rules we govern.
"These rules are intended to promote and preserve the sound traditions of the sport and the safety of participants. However, there is an inherent risk of major or minor injury from participation. Every individual using these rules is responsible for prudent judgement with respect to each contest, athlete and facility and each athlete is responsible for exercising caution and good sportsmanship."
The preamble, so to speak, gives the officials the authority to stop this type of activity before someone gets hurt. Simply put, if you allow this to go on, you are liable for any injury that may occur, as is game administration, as would the player if he chose to circumvent the decision made by the officials.

3. You are not scheduled to work the 2nd game since it is a tournament and a separate group of officials will work game 2. What will you instruct them to do?
I would advise them of my reasons for not allowing this type of activity to occur and to caution them to not allow it to take place either. I have not been able to find a specific rule to cover this type of behavior and certainly would not penalize a team for the actions of non-supporters. But I would expect game management to take care of this 'unsportsmanship' behavior, Rule 2.8.1, due to this activity of a spectator(s). While the authority is there to penalize via technical fouls (Rule 10-1-8) should game administration refuse to correct the problem, the best solution would be to suspend play until proper announcements were made to rectify the problem. This information would then be echoed to the officials scheduled for the next game, for their information, should it be allowed to happen again..

WHEW...!!!