View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 25, 2000, 01:36am
Official Forum Member

Okay, I lied about the Super Bowl Tickets ... but the following is a situation that has occurred in our state and I'm curious to know how you and your association would handle the situation! I kinda brought this up in response to another 'post', but I wanted to get a variety of intrepretations.

You have been assigned two high school games on the same night. At half-time of the 1st game, before the officials leave the court area, both teams of the 2nd game enter the court with full warm-ups to begin their pre-game activities by doing a shoot-around. Both teams have gotten permission from home management to do so, but were also instructed to exit the court when the teams of the 1st game returned from the half-time break.

The players from team B begin dunking the ball and hanging on the rim. Eight dunks are recognized by the officials as they decide to stay on the floor because of 'poor' dressing facilities.

You have three questions and must tell why!
1. How are you going to start the 2nd game and what rule or lack or rule will you refer to?
2. What particular rule or lack of rule are you going to refer to when one of the kids files a lawsuit against you because he permanently disfigured a finger while dunking the ball?
3. You are not scheduled to work the 2nd game since it is a tournament and a separate group of officials will work game 2. What will you instruct them to do?

Please don't answer on IMPULSE ... put some thought into it. I'll respond in a couple of days to tell you what our group did and why!!

KDM