View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 11, 2005, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Not really that clear.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Substitutions must be made by a team representative. According to the rule it seems to imply that it must be done before the warning horn (15 seconds left in the halftime). But that is ambiguous at best. I would just make sure you have 5 on the court and the coach just would have to figure it out from there. If no players report or team representative does not report than the last players in the game will start the second half.

This is not an issue I ever have to deal with.

Peace
I'm going to have to disagree - the requirement for reporting before the 15 second warning horn is clear as day:

3-3-1 a: At halftime . . . the substitute must report or be in position to report to the scorer, prior to the warning signal which is sounded 15 seconds before the end of the intermission . . .

2-12-4: The timer shall sound a warning signal 15 seconds before the expiration of an intermission.

And in case there's any debate over intermission vs. halftime:

5-5-1: [8 minute quarters] with intermissions of one minute after the first and third quarters, and 10 minutes between halves. The halftime intermission may be extended . . .

Now, if you choose to not enforce this rule, fine (it's pretty hard to enforce - again how many scorekeepers know what 10 players were on the floor at the end of the half), but it's spelled out clear as day in the rulebook.
Mark by rule you are a 100% right however which scorekeeper even knows which 10 players were on the floor when the 2Q ended. I have officiated for more years than I want to admit. Never in all those years in more than one place in the country have I ever had a scorer tell me that a team did not check players in and who they were/not etc.

Rut is right by practice 5 guys go on the floor to start the half and we play...