Thread: Partner...
View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 01:54am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by kristal_15
I reffed a game with a senior official not too long ago who really didn't impress me with his attitude...

Although I do understand I'm am only 16 and have been officiating for only 3 yrs now, he insisted on taking over the game, calling everything in my coverage area, sometimes totally ignoring the NFHS mechanics and making us both look unprofessional and well....dumb. He even made a comment to both coach explaining that I was a rookie and to take it "easy" on me. Now i know that i don't have very much experience, but I did pass the exam with a very good mark and I know I can definitley hold my own on the court. I also am more than willing to learn and be given pointers by my partner, in fact it is much appreciated. But how do I handle situations like this, do I approach my partner? Do I mention something or let it go?

Thank you
If your user name is kristal because your real-life name is Kristal, I'm assuming you're female. This could also be why he was so patronizing. The best way to stop this kind of bad treatment is to nip it in the bud early by being very professional, self-assured and intense. You call the person ahead of time, and say, "I hope you'll be there 15 minutes early because I'd like to have a good pre-game so we can call the game as a good team." Then when you are first within six feet of him you put your right hand out confidently, shake his hand, look into his eyes with a friendly and assertive smile and say, "Hi! I'm Kristal, you must be Morton. Shall we have our pre-game over here?" Walk nicely with him to the place you've already chosen, and say, "How was the traffic from your end of town -- it took me twice as long to get here as it did last Saturday." All of these actions are designed to let him know that you and he are equal -- neither one is higher or lower than the other. You're glad to be working with him, and you intend to be colleagues.

If he stutters or hesitates to take over the pre-game (which he probably will), you say, "Okay, here's what I'm working on..." and then describe a specific type of play where you're trying to remember to step to the outside for the best angle, or something equally in keeping with several years experience. Ask him to give you a count, or something to remind you, if he sees you in that situation. Then ask, "What can I help you with?" Listen seriously, make a suggestion if you can do so informedly or say, "Hmm, I'll watch for that." Then ask, "Is there anything else we ought to talk about?" Let him go from there, if he will, or say, "How do you prefer to handle a last-second shot?" or "How shall we resolve a double whistle?" If necessary, practice ahead of time saying these things in a very friendly, open manner with an air of two people working together on a project -- which is precisely what you are.

If you hear him telling a coach that "she's a rookie, so go light on her" you could even jump in and say, "Hi, I'm Kristal, did he tell you to go light on me? Ha, ha he's such a kidder. What I really need is practice tossing coaches, so you can be as rough as you want!" Well, I'm not sure I'd use those words exactly, but you want to project confidence and pleasure to the coach -- "I'm glad to be here". "I'm a ref, and I know how to be in charge." You are not only trying to convince your partner, you've got to convince the coaches as early as possible that a 16-year-old girl can handle them.

You have to keep up this kind of confident self-assuredness. If he corrects something you did, say, "Okay, I'll study that when I get home." If he's taking calls out of your area, you say, "What am I missing in my primary?" If he overrules you, step to him firmly right then and there and say, "I'll change my call myself if you'll tell me what I missed" and then change it no matter how wrong he is. If he does it again, say quietly, "Are we supposed to be overruling each other? I thought that was not acceptable." If he's wrong about an overrule, at half-time say, "Here's my rule book, show me the reference on that play."

If none of this wins him over, you should tell your assignor that you never want to work with this guy again. He insulted and debased you to the coaches, and that is inexcusable.

Also, where do you live? There may be someone on this baord who lives near you and could give you some good political information.