View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 09, 2005, 06:37pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by nine01c

I see what you are saying but I took the initial post in a different way. Sounds like they were making an effort to not have a player get 5 fouls. It's up to the player not to get 5 fouls. Knowing when a team will be in the bonus on the next foul is different (to me) than being concerned if a player will be getting his 5th foul. I don't need a reminder in the situation you noted because I would not call the borderline push on a rebound when the other team got the ball (in the beginning of the game, or the end). Really, I get along fine with partners and have good communication. Guess it just rubs me the wrong way to have one tell me how I should or should not make my calls.
I am going to have to admittedly disagree with you. Knowledge is power. I want to know as much about the game as possible. I have no problem with knowing who the stars are and what their foul situation is. Whether you like it or not, what the stars do or do not do are going to be where the coach focuses his complaints and issues with the assignor. A D1 Officials told me awhile ago (and repeated it recently) that an officials should call the game for the tape. The tape is not going to lie. Maybe their recollection will probably fail, but the tape will not. So what Juulie's partner was saying is right on. If you foul out a player with a really cheap foul, the tape will just magnify that complaint about the rest of the game.

I had a game last night between some big rivals. There was a dedication ceremony before the game for an American Flag. The home team lost because one of my partners called a foul with .8 seconds left in the game on a rebounding foul. The foul was obvious and a player on the defensive end (home team player) goes flying in and clears out a pile. So the foul resulted in us going to the other end and shooting bonus FTs, which the player hit both and won the game. Nothing else is going to be remembered in that game except for that foul call. The game was tied and the coach kept saying, "Let the kids decide the game." So when this coach goes to the tape, he can look at what happen for sure. And what the tape shows will back up the case for the official that called the foul his two partners that worked with him.

To me that is good officiating. You can disagree with that assessment of what was said, I think it is good communication and does not nothing to add to the knowledge of the officials on the floor. If the officials call a foul on that player, the coach is going to complain anyway. At least you know what might be coming.

Peace