View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 09, 2005, 01:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nine01c
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker [/i]
Kept the 4 fouls star in the game.

Juulie - I hope you don't mean what this might sound like you did.

Mark -- I'm a "when in Rome" kinda gal. When I work for you, I do things your way. When I'm working with a partner who says, "Don't call anytnign cheap on (**). Make her 5th foul a good one" I work with him.
I would be put off by my partner even saying this to me. Sorry, no special treatment for any player since I make calls as I see them. Maybe I'm not that good of a ref yet, but I am likely to not know that a player has 4 fouls (well, I might know but I don't care). Guess I would not make a good Roman.
I don't know why anyone would be put off by a partner who said this. Note that the partner didn't say to not call the fifth foul on the player. He/she just wanted to make sure it wasn't a cheapy. It's no different than me reminding my crew in the last few seconds of a tight game to have patient whistles. I'm not telling them to not blow their whistles, I'm just saying to not anticipate contact but rather to see contact, process contact and then make the call. Sure, it's what we should be doing all game long but participants in games tend to get the adrenaline flowing in that case and a little reminder never hurts, IMHO.

IMHO, it's good awareness on your partner's part to know that a player has 4..... no different than a good official knowing when a team has 6 or 9 fouls so you can give the proper number of free throws on your preliminary signal for the next common foul you call. Wouldn't you rather have your partner tell you to make the fifth foul be a good one rather than to foul out the player on a borderline push foul on a rebound that you could have easily passed on because team B got the rebound?

To me, it's nothing more than a reminder from your partner to have a patient whistle.

Z