Thread: Missed base
View Single Post
Old Thu May 10, 2001, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Lighten up, man!

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
First off, pet peeve: There is no such thing as "ASA Fastpitch Rules"! ASA is a softball organization that does have specific exceptions and modifications for multiple styles, levels and divisions of the game, but ASA does not maintain an exclusive set of rules for the different styles of the game.
I wasn't trying to imply there was a rulebook titled Official Rules of Fastpitch (OFR, in the baseball tradition of rulebook acronyms ). It was shorthand, since I think you would be hard pressed to find more than a couple of pages in the entire 20 or so pages of rule 8 of the Official Rules of Softball that do not contain the qualifiers (Fast Pitch Only) or (Slow Pitch Only) or (Co-ed only) or ... etc.

Anyway, to the question at hand,

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
...unless the fielder was totally blocking the base in a manner to prohibit the runner from making contact, the runner is out upon proper appeal.
Regarding the
Official Rules of Softball
Official softball rules adopted, published and distributed by :
THE AMATEUR SOFTBALL ASSOCIATION OF AMERICA
THE NATIONAL GOVERNING BODY FOR SOFTBALL
it does say that obstruction does not remove the obligation to touch all bases in the proper order, but I was wondering if anyone would have not allowed the appeal on the grounds that the missed base was because of the obstruction.