Thread: not in the book
View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 06, 2005, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
The same one that you're using! There isn't one. The requirement, in my opinion, is that a name must only be added if that individual is currently a player or the coach wishes that individual to be added to the book.
No, I'm afraid that you aren't.

The rule that I'm referencing states that the scorer is required to "Keep a record of the names and numbers of players who are to start the game and of all substitutes who enter the game." The rule does not include, "If the sub is not in the book, the infraction is ignored if he has left the game before the officials are notified. There's no case play or interpretation that says that.

If a player plays, he MUST be in the book. If he's not in the book, he MUST be added. This philosophy, and that's all that it is, that the T isn't assessed if the player is taken out before the official is notified has no basis whatsoever.

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Does 10.1.2 fit? (a) Three minutes prior to the start of the game; or (b) during a time-out in the second quarter of play, the Team B coach requests the scorer to add a name to the team list or change a team member's number in the scorebook. When is the penalty invoked for this administrative infraction? RULING: The infraction occurs when the scorer is advised to add to or change the scorebook. The foul must be charged when it occurs and enforced when the ball next becomes live. Once the ball has become live, it is too late to penalize (emphasis mine).

Does that cover the situation in question?
No, it doesn't.

What the case play is saying is that if the scorer enters the player into the book and DOES NOT inform the officials, once the ball is live, it's too late to penalize.

It has nothing to do with not entering the player until after he leaves the game. If he's in the game or BEEN IN the game, he MUST be entered into the book.

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
since this kid played he MUST be added to the scorebook whether the coach wants it or not, and 10-1-2 tells us that this is a team technical foul.
But if he didn't foul or score and no recorded his entry, how do you know he was in the game? If he's sitting on the bench, he doesn't have to be in the book. If he re-enters, then we put him in the book and assess the T. I don't see how rule compels me otherwise. JMO.
The scorer is part of the officiating crew. If the scorer states that the player has been in the game and is not in the book, then a T is assessed and the name is entered. It makes no difference that the scorer didn't advise you while the player was in the game.

[Edited by BktBallRef on Jan 6th, 2005 at 09:51 AM]