Thread: Correctable?
View Single Post
Old Wed May 09, 2001, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, that is what Dave said, but he also said that he agreed with bktballref's opinion on this subject. However, Dave's conclusion is completely different from that of bktballref's conclusion. So which if either of these is correct and why? I side with Dave.

Quote:
Dave Brost
Thus, you would go back and nullify the free throws, and then resume play by awarding the free throws for the last foul. The ball would not go back to team A for an inbound based on the correction of the error. You would play the free throws as normal.
Quote:
bktballref
2-10-5 states, "Points scored, consumed time and additional activity, which may occur prior to the recognition of an error, shall not be nullified." Therefore, B1 shoots his FTs with no one on the lane and then A gets the ball back on the spot nearest the foul.
I know you would take away the free throw that was erroneously allowed to be shot and made. Then you go to correctable error provisions. I actually find Dave's interpretation of 2-10-6 more compelling than anything that allows the shooting of the free throws with nobody on lane and the award of the ball back to A. I had misinterpreted what would happen in other violations. It appears from my re-reading of 2-10 that you would merely eliminate the error by taking away the points but you would not give the ball to A, even though failure to give A the ball for a throw-in was also part of the error. If you give A the ball, you would not meet the provision of 2-10-6 which says "play shall be resumed from the point at which it was interrupted to rectify the error, unless it involves awarding a merited free throw(s) and there has been no change of team possession since the error was made." Since we are not awarding merited free throws, but rather taking away unmerited free throws, (and we have had change of possession) it seems we should let B shoot with players on the lane. This also makes more sense since failure to award the ball to a team for a throw-in (for example, mistake with AP arrow) is not a correctable error. So A loses out on free throw and on the possession.

So the only error that can be corrected if ball becomes live after the made free throw is to take away the made free throw. If this error was noted before the second free throw was missed, A would have gotten ball and the free throw would have been wiped out. Can we all agree on that?