View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 01, 2005, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

"Minnoy was assessed his second technical foul of the game, which resulted in an automatic ejection and his suspension from Thursday's contest."

Good job by the officials.

"Both Minnoy and the spectator, whose name was unavailable, were taken to the Richton Park police station, cited with breach of the peace—a violation of a local ordinance—and released, according to a police official."

Doubly good job by the authorities.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
He said in one of the papers that the schools need to take responsibility for the behavior of fans. That has always been my position.
I agree that the spectators need to exhibit better sportsmanship, especially at the high school level. The game management people need to make it clear that this kind of behavior is not acceptable. A local official here and friend of mine even issued a technical foul last week to the crowd at a school for making racial remarks toward the visiting team.

Quote:
If this fan was not getting personal, there would be no fight.
This I don't agree with. Fans make remarks from the stands quite frequently at numerous games and fights don't start. They may share part of the blame for an incident, but there is definitely another step in there that must be taken before a fight breaks out. Specifically, it takes a poor response to the fan's bad behavior to have a fight.

Quote:
The prosecutor said the same thing about the fan that threw the beer. "If the fan does not throw the beer, we are not even at this point."
He said that because it's his job. He needs to make his case against that Detroit fan in court. What do you expect him to say as an attorney?
Just because a lawyer said it, doesn't make it the truth. You of all people on this forum should know that. You don't even accept official reports as truthful accounts of an incident. Try to be consistent in your stances.