View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 28, 2004, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: wrong

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref in PA
Quote:
Originally posted by rwest
If A2 establishes control while in the air and then comes down with one foot on or over the line we have a backcourt violation. This is due to the fact that the player had front court status when he left the floor on his jump. He maintains that status until he comes back down. When he landed with one foot on/over the line he was the first one to touch the ball while in the backcourt after the ball had acquired front court status.

There is no need for A2 to establish control. The pass could go through his hands and the ball bounce off his head. The ball now has front court status. A2 landing in back court now has back court status and the ball coming down conks A2 on the head again and bounces directly into front court. We whistle a backcourt violation in this case if we can stop laughing.
Not in this case. You are correct and I miswrote (Is that even a word? I was going to say misspoke, but I didnt'). However, the reason control is not required is because team control had already been established by the player in the backcourt. In another situation this would not be a violation. For example,if team A is inbounding the ball on the endline in their frontcourt and lobs the ball out toward a player near the division line, if the ball goes through their hands and they never gained control, it is not a violation if it goes into the backcourt and they are the first to touch it.

[Edited by rwest on Dec 28th, 2004 at 03:59 PM]