Old Tue Dec 28, 2004, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mrm21711
Quote:
Originally posted by MrUmpire
Quote:
Originally posted by gordon30307
I have no sympathy for the guys that resigned. It's arrogance on their part if they thought that they were irreplaceable and bigger than the game. As a group they needed to be knocked down a peg. They were hired by the League and obligated to apply the rules the way the League wanted them applied. As I recall they refused to call the "high strike" the way the League wanted it called. I'm sure that there were other issues invovled as well. I think it was Eric Gregg with his strikes 6 inches off the black he was an embarassment to the profession the way he called strikes and his arrogance on the field was their for all to see. None of them should have been hired back. Just my opinion.
I regret to that I must forgo my long honored tradtion of not getting involved in name calling.

You, sir, are a moron.

How about an intelligent and factual response?? Debating the person with facts and intelligent statments earns more respect than name calling.

If the umps legally should have received the back pay, ect...they deserve it. If not, then they do not. Although MLB is being made out to be the "bad guy," the umpires resigned themselves. There is no shame in rescinding a regination when you realize what the alternative is. The Tim McClellands, Mark Hirschbecks, Derryl Cousins, and Tim Welkes should be commended for not resigning. Lets look at this situation logically. The umpires had become bigger than the game. Anybody watching the 1995 playoffs cannot argue that Eric Gregg in the Florida/Atlanta series and Brinkman in the World Series were a joke.
What do you mean they were a joke? This is a serious question. I was not watching baseball during that period of time, although I follow it closely now. Do you mean they were a joke by their K zone or their behavior on the field?