Old Sun Dec 26, 2004, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Quote:
Originally posted by nine01c
Quote:
Originally posted by Carl Childress
Here's the relevant MLBUM ruling to the play in question:

The umpire will initially award R1 home (two bases from his position at the time of the throw). But if the runner retouches first, the award becomes two bases from the time of the pitch. If after the ball becomes dead the runner touches third before returning to first, he is subject to appeal.

==========

I still have a few questions not answered yet.
In the above explanation, does it specify if the runner has left early on the pitch (hit and run) or just left early after the ball is batted? Does it matter? I understand Carl's explanation of this but I don't recall ruling differently in each case. Maybe that's the whole point , there are now two different ways to rule depending.
Also, the last sentence is contrary to OBR in that R1 is retouching 1B when he has reached 3B after the ball has become dead. How is this allowed? Also, isn't R1 subject to appeal no matter which base he now occupies (except 1B of course)? I guess I'm not sure why they need to state that R1 is subject to appeal here (of course he is, right?).
First, here's the MLBUM play: "Runner on first, one out. Batter flies out to right field for second out. However, runner on first thought there were two out and is between second and third when the ball is caught. Right fielder's throw to first is wild and goes into the dugout. Runner is between second and third when the wild throw is made."

It doesn't matter whether the runner left on the pitch or on the batted ball. What matters is whether he tagged and left early or just left early.

Concerning the other problem: I'm sure this has been explained before, but I'll give it another try.

OBR rule 7.10 AR 2 is no longer enforced in professional baseball!

Rather, they simply measure it differently now.

Runner is between second and third and left first too soon. Ball goes dead and he is still between second and third. The runner has advanced and touched a base beyond the "missed" bases, that is, the one he left early. So, technically the casebook (italicized print) comment in the rule book says he is subject to appeal.

But the new casebook (MLBUM and PBYC agree) reads that the runner must advance and touch a base AFTER the ball goes dead before he is subject to appeal.

That's the meaning of the last part of my synopsis of the MLBUM ruling: If R1 (ball is now dead) touches third, he may not return to touch first and will be called out on appeal. (PBUC 3.11 Play 2)

I hope this makes it clear.