View Single Post
Old Sat Dec 25, 2004, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Here's another problem I'd like comments on before I ship off the BRD:

Play: R1 leaves early on a caught fly ball and is between second and third when the throw to first goes dead.

The usual interpretation is: He gets two bases measured from his original base. He goes to third. OBR: When a runner is forced to return to a base after a catch, he must retouch his original base before receiving his award, which is measured from his original base. (7.05i CMT 2)

Pretty standard stuff. J/R puts it this way: "If a runner has obviously left early or failed to retouch his base, his attained base at the time of the throw is not used to measure the award. Rather, his award is measured from his occupied base — where he was at the time of the pitch." (non-italicized explication [standard pro interpretation], p. 57)

Now comes this from the MLBUM:

When a runner leaves his base early and is beyond a succeeding base at the time of a throw that goes dead, he will be awarded two bases measured from the TOT. If he retouches his original base, he will receive two bases from the TOP. (5.10)

Here's the relevant MLBUM ruling to the play in question:

The umpire will initially award R1 home (two bases from his position at the time of the throw). But if the runner retouches first, the award becomes two bases from the time of the pitch. If after the ball becomes dead the runner touches third before returning to first, he is subject to appeal.

==========

Ok, what do you think?