View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 24, 2004, 12:17am
Official Forum Member

Things sure vary in different parts of the country. In my area, if you have a kid on a school team, you just let your assignor know the dates you are unavailable to referee (the schedules are out early, and usually the assignors know the schedules before the refs or kids). I had the problem of a Freshman trying out and not knowing if he would make the team or not. It was understood that if he made the team, I would be unavailable for his home games and most of his away games. So, I got my schedule based on this (he made the team). However, we get games year by year (not several years in advance) and we do not sign any contracts.

We are allowed to referee at any schoool, even if we have children at that school. It is rare that a ref would officiate his own kid's game (basically never) but he may work the other levels, or gender. I will miss having a full basketball schedule to officiate, but I wil enjoy watching my son play (whether he be a starter or bench player). These next four years will go by fast and then I'll resume my usual work load.