View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 23, 2004, 08:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by zebra44
Let's see how many honest replies I get. Your son or daughter is on the varsity basketball team.He/she is probably the 9th or 10th "man". You are an official. Do you go to your offspring's games, or do you ref your schedule? There is a guy around here that says "He probably won't play anyway, so I'm doing my games". He even wants to do the two games he has with his son's team, for the same reason, "What's the differece, he won't play anyway"! His partner has called me to fill those 2 games, and I was to fill the other 20 or so until the father decided otherwise. How have you folks handled it. I know what I would do.
(He also had a daughter that graduated 3 years ago, she was the starting point guard, he went to almost all her games)

[Edited by zebra44 on Dec 23rd, 2004 at 03:50 PM]
Zebra -- If you were asking this question regarding you and your kid, I'd answer as the others have. But I don't think it's fair to ask it for someone else. You have no idea what that dad's relationship is with the kid, and what goes on between them. It's very possible that the kid doesn't want the dad there, or that the dad shows his love and support in many other ways. If the kid isn't playing much, maybe it's because he's there primarily for the exercise, and the competition isn't that big a deal to him. I really think you have to just respect the guy's privacy and not butt into his business, unless he asks.