View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 19, 2004, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Re: i had this situation....

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnBark
Jr. High boys, A1 gets the ball in low post. pivots and has the ball "locked and loaded" to shot the shot. B1 fouls him causing A1 to hestitate with the shot. After B1 fouls him, A1 puts up the shot, which was made!

B's coach says this isn't the NBA. there is no continous motion for jr. high ball. i very calmly tell him, yes there is CM and that just because the force of the foul caused A1 to hestitate, he never brought the ball down and only because of the foul that A1 couldn't get the shot off right away. it looked real funny!!! but, A1 never stopped or brought the ball below his head at all or even changed his grip on the ball.

the force of the foul caused him not to jump and not to put the shot up at the same time as the foul occurred.

i hope i explained that well. i wish i had video of it. bottomline, i counted the bucket and awarded 1 FT for the continous motion attempt.

was i correct?
I had a similar situation and I made the same call you did, with the same laudatory comments from the coach. After I did a mental rewind, I think I had made a mistake by awarding the goal. In my case, the player keept the ball high but did a slight reload to regrip the ball after the contact. In retrospect the motion was neither normal or really continuous. Should have been no goal, two shot foul.