View Single Post
Old Sat Dec 18, 2004, 07:41pm
Official Forum Member

This printout is a guide for ...

The printout of Most Misunderstood Rules was meant to
be a guide for novice recreational officials and seems to work well with adult rec league players.

Just as any rulebook usually is concise and doesn't cover every situation, so is this handout.

I tried to be as direct and accurate as possible, while keeping the interpretations on ONE PAGE.

Regarding the rules that you are disputing, I can only say that I have been to more than a few rules interpretation sessions of West Coast collegiate officials in the mid 1980s
and several issues were discussed that the rulebook failed to clarify.

One was the issue of coming back inbounds and it was stated by interpreters that the player would be gaining an advantage if coming back in at any spot other than where he/she left the court.

I hope you understand that I am not implying that my handout is perfect. I do defend it as it has acted as a fair quick-reference for players and coaches (and officials) who argue about misconceptions.

I try to have everyone understand that the rulebook is a foundationfromwhich we make our decisions. I also try to explain the "spirit & intent" of many rules.

This sheet is not all encompassing and may not fully explain things to your liking, but it is easier that giving a rulebook, illustration book, and caseplay book to everyone that might need a little more rules education.