View Single Post
Old Wed May 02, 2001, 03:24pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Re: Re: whoops let's do it over? Naw dont think so!

Quote:
Based on the fact that "the throw-in starts when the ball is at the disposal of a player of the team entitled to the throw-in" (7-6-1), and based on my opinion of when the ball is at the disposal of that player, I gotta have a do over.

I cannot see a moving ball bouncing off a player's fumbling fingers as being at the disposal of the player.

The ball was "at the disposal of a player of the team entitled to the throw-in" when the player on the court tapped it toward the inbounder. If the player on the court had just picked up the ball and held it, you would have started your 5 second count, wouldn't you have? Of course. The rule doesn't state that the player who has the ball at his disposal has to be the one to inbound, only that the ball is at the disposal of a player on the team entitled to the throw-in. Since the official doesn't handle the ball on this type of throw-in, the mechanic about making sure the inbounder properly handles the ball when received from an official on a spot throw-in doesn't apply. They are two different situations.