View Single Post
Old Sat Dec 18, 2004, 12:32pm
In Memoriam

Re: Who wants a copy?

Quote:
Originally posted by bossref
I wrote the "Most Misunderstood Rules" sheet for new officials in San Diego's rec leagues about 15 years ago.

I just went to your web site(below) and looked at your "Most Misunderstood Rules", Barry.
http://www.sdboss.com/rules.htm

I seem to be personally still misunderstanding about four(4) of your rules, not including the one I already asked about in another post. Maybe you can clear up my misunderstandings. I certainly would appreciate it.

(1) "E" -"Palming is when the hand is under the ball..."
-- In the definition of "palming" in R4-15-4(b), it says that the ball has to come to rest. Nowhere in the rules can I find anything that states that the hand being under the ball during a dribble is actually illegal. I did find that R4-15-2 states that "During the dribble the ball may be batted into the air provided it is permitted to strike the floor before the ball is touched again with the hands". Can't you legally bat the ball into the air with your hand under it, as you wrote in "E"?

(2) "G" - "Cannot touch the ball or rim if the ball is on the rim or in the imaginary cylinder".
-- Could you point out the rule to me that states that it is Basket Interference if a player touches the rim while the ball is in the cylinder above it? I was under the impression(probably mistakenly) that it was only a violation to touch the rim when the ball was on or within the basket, and that it's not a violation to touch the rim when the ball is above the basket in the cylinder. Rule 4-6-1 seems to be saying the same thing. Could you please clear up this misunderstanding for me also?

(3) "M" - "The coach may call a timeout if the ball is in his team's possession or ball dead".
-- Doesn't a team also have possession during a pass, fumble, interrupted dribble, etc.? Rule 4-12-2 seems to state that. And Rule 5-8-3(a) states that you can only grant the time-out if the ball is in the control or at the disposal of a player. Please let me know where I can find the rule that allows an official to grant a time-out during all team possessions such as passes too.

(4) "W" - "It is legal to hang on the rim if fouled".
-- Please help me out on this one too, and let me know where I can find this in the rules. The only rule that I am aware of that is pertinent is R10-3-4EXCEPTION, and that states that the only exempt act is if you hang on the rim to "prevent injury". I was not aware that a defender could foul a player as soon as he started the act of shooting, and the player could then complete the "shooting" act- including an airborne shooter- and hang on the rim legally.

I certainly appreciate your straightening out of these "misunderstood rules" for me, Barry. I certainly misunderstand them and I'm always willing to learn.