Thread: Team Fouls
View Single Post
Old Sat Dec 18, 2004, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by johnnyrao
Can I tell the timer during pre-game not to post team fouls on the scoreboard? I did a JV game the other night and in the 2nd half the home team had 8 team fouls and the visitors had zero. Now, as exepected, the home team coach is riding us hard and letting us know what the scoreboard is saying (yes, she did eventually get a T for this and a lot more). My mindset all this time is 1) are we really missing something from the visitors here? 2) are we seeing fouls from home that aren't really there? We talked it through after the game and decided a few things. First, Home could have had MANY more fouls but since they were down by 20+ we actually let a few go. Second, since they were down by so many their offense consisted of one pass and a three-pointer, usually rebounded by the Visitors, so there were few/no V fouls. We felt we were good in the way we called it but obviously, because of the scoreboard, many in the gym thought we were idiots.

If I can't tell the timer not to track fouls on the board, then do any of you "give" fouls to the visitors to make the scoreboard look a little better and get folks off your back?
You can't make up fouls by the team that doesn't have any. You can carefully make sure that they don't gain ANY advantage at all by any illegal contact. It's very possible, though, that they are just a lot better team, and this coach hasn't yet learned how to teach her girls to play that well.

You can also let a lot go by the losing team if "they don't gain any advantage from it."

The most important part (as I am still learning daily) is to call your own game, and don't worry too much about the coach's complaints. Until they earn themselves a T. Then whack! and move on. Now someone remind me of that on Monday when I have -ugh!- Parkrose girls.