View Single Post
Old Sat Dec 18, 2004, 07:12am
In Memoriam

Re: Who wants a copy?

Quote:
Originally posted by bossref
I wrote the "Most Misunderstood Rules" sheet for new officials in San Diego's rec leagues about 15 years ago.

I'm especially proud of the explanation of the legality of returning back inbounds after saving a loose ball. We tell them that they've got to return at approximately the same location where they left the court and "must have SOMETHING IN and NOTHING OUT!".

Barry, could you point out the rule to me that backs up your statement above that a player going OOB has to return at approximately the same location where he left? Please be specific, as I am not a rules expert like you and I am also not aware of the existence of any such language. I was under the impression that you had to return in-bounds immediately from where your momentum took you after you went OOB. You're saying that,if a player's momentum takes him 20 feet up a sideline trying to save a ball, then that player has to come back 20 feet and then come in-bounds where he originally went out. Wouldn't that be a "delay returning", and thus be a T under R10-3-3? Please let me know where I can find your interpretation in the rule book.

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Dec 18th, 2004 at 08:19 AM]