View Single Post
Old Wed May 02, 2001, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

whoops let's do it over? Naw dont think so!

I wonder about rationalizing this to do over....

A just scores. B1 is out of bounds, B2 who is inbounds pushes/passes the ball to B1 for a throw in and B1 taps it back to B2.
Dont we see this alot?

As far as I can recall there is nothing that says that a player OOB has to have possession or control or anything to make an inbounds throw. If it is me who makes an errant pass to perosn who fumbles, it is the officials fault, in this case where the official is not involved and it is an ongoing play, why should we get involved? Ball is available and probably at disposal of team. a 5 second count would be starting. How many times in games do we see B2 catch it go OOB pass it to someone who is inbounds going OOBs to also throw the ball in catches it inbounds and carries it OOB, it that a whoops let's re do it too?
A player has the ball but is off balance fakes a pass to the left and steps in bounds the steps OOB to go back to the right for the throw-in, whoops off balance let's redo it?

If a player who was OOB actually picked up the ball and it "slipped" or was "fumbled" (WHOOPS) out of the player's hands into the waiting arms of a defender ( who might have been applying some pressure) would you redo it?

Where would you draw the line on an errant inbounds push/tip/pass. The rule was met ball went OOB a player put it back into play. I cant see a rule supporting this and not sure I would want to justify it to a coach who might be pressing..why I just took points away. Players do stupid things, In this case the player did not do a good inbounds pass and may have created a turnover. Players dont do good dribbles, shots or passes on the floor. I am not getting in the business of deciding this, Let the coach yell at his own kids, if the coach says something to me I'd respond back that kids were responsible for making a play like that. The coach is going to tel the kids to take the ball out right, guarantee they will the next time.

Whoops! lets do it again just doesnt amke it for me