View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 17, 2004, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Re: I don't have my books with me but ....

Quote:
Originally posted by rwest
Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
NFHS Rules:

As I understand Rule 4-40-4 (and case play 4.40.4 Situation B), this could be counted as 2 or 3, depending on the "type" of the touch by the defender.

If the referee feels that the shot ended when the ball hit the defender (like a shot that is on it's way down), then the ball that subsequently went through the basket would count as 2.

If the referee feels that the shot did not end (for instance, the defender was real close to the passer and the richochet merely redirected a ball that was still on it's way up), it would count as a 3.

The FED used to require officials to judge whether or not the original attempt was a pass or a try but they took that out a couple years ago (or so). However, it still looks to me as if we have to judge whether or not the try "ended" or was merely deflected.

Anyone else interpret this the same (or different)?

Z
I seem to recall from the case book a play where Team A was passing the ball around outside the 3 point arc and the ball was deflected by a team member into the basket. It was counted as a three. In this case it did not matter that it was not a try for goal. You count it as a 3. Again, I'm going from memory here. I know this situation is involving a defender, I just wanted to bring up the fact that a try, at least in this case, is not germain to the discussion.

I'm not sure about it touching a defender though. I believe the case play had multiple situations and one of them was touching a defender.
I don't seem to recall that play. Please find it and cite it.

A pass beyond the arc that goes into the basket without deflecting or touching is a 3. A pass that originates beyond the arc and touches a teammate who is also beyond the arc and deflects, tips or redirects the ball into the into the basket would also be a 3. If teammate is inside the arc, only 2 may be counted.

A pass/try that deflects off of a defender that originates beyond the arc can only be counted as a 3 if the ball was touched on the way up. The defender location does not matter at that point. If you think about it, the laws of physics will let you envision the play (not something out of a Flubber movie). As so elequently stated earlier, once a pass or try is below the rim and deflects off a defender into the basket, only 2 points may be scored.