Thread: Protest?
View Single Post
Old Tue May 01, 2001, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

ASA v OBR

Here is the crux of the debate, from my perspective:

1. ASA rules define the play on BR at first as a force play (unlike OBR). 8-8-G.

2. ASA rules require all base runners to complete their duties, regardless. 8-8-G

3. ASA rules allow appeals on missed bases any time up to the time all infielders leave fair territory or umpires leave the field. 8-8 EFFECT F-I

4. ASA rules allow umpires to rectify any situation where an erroneous call by the umpire placed the runner or batter-runner in jeopardy. 10-6-C.

This much is clear: if the umpire had not called “BALL GAME” the appeals would be valid, and done properly, could have nullified the run and forced the game into extra innings.

The debate was whether the umpire’s call placed the runners in jeopardy, and if so whether therefore this should be rectified.

Answer: (IMO) umpire’s judgment. If in his judgment, he placed the runners in jeopardy, disallow the appeals, game over. If in his judgment, these players were not confused by the call (i.e. they decided on their own to quit running and start celebrating) then allow the appeals, batter up!