Thread: lane violation
View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 16, 2004, 04:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
I disagree. If the defender violates as the shooter is in the act of shooting, I have disconcertion and the violation by A1 is ignored.
Disconcertion is more that merely committing a violation, in my humble opinion. I'm with Mark on this one = double violation, no point, go to the arrow if last attempt.

Tim for your reference: It is spelled out on page 55 of the Rules Book 9-1 Penalty section 4b.
"If the second violation is by the free thrower or a teammate behind the free-throw line extended and the three-point line, both violations are penalized, as in penalty item (3)."

But Tony (BktballRef) certainly has a point. Here is a play from the 2002-03 NFHS Basketball Interpretations:

SITUATION 15: On a final free-throw attempt by A1, B1 commits a lane violation. A1's free throw misses the ring and flange. RULING: Double violation, unless the officials deem B1's act to be disconcerting to the shooter. If this was the last of multiple free throws, play will be resumed by the alternating-possession procedure. (9-1-3, 9-1-5, 9-1-9 Penalty 3)

[Edited by Nevadaref on Dec 16th, 2004 at 05:47 AM]