View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
Per NFHS rules you are perfectly correct. However the coach's concerns should be considered.

Why?

NBA has a similar rule with the semicircle under the basket. You cannot guard anyone from there so either get outside the circle or accept a no call.

This was an NFHS game, not an NBA game. The post very clearly stated that the answer should be in "high school rules only."

I believe similar rules are in process for college and I think some high school associations are experimenting with this type of rule.

Not in this case. Again, irrelevant.

I would have had to be there to see it, but I think what the coach was suggesting was that you pass on this call - NO CALL.

Post said that A1 "crashed into" B1. Doesn't sound like a no-call situation to me.

As with any contact, there is a lot to do with timing. Did the shooter intentionally run over the "defender?"

You mean a call shouldn't be made if A1 didn't mean to crash into B1? Say what? How often does a defender "mean" to foul? Silly.

Did the "defender" jump into this spot (albeit legally) trying to defend the basket or simply trying to take a charge?

If the defender had LGP and did not move under A1 once A1 went airborne, it doesn't matter. Look at 5-1-1 in the "Simplified and Illustrated" rule book. Note that the defender is standing directly under the hoop and it is still a charging foul on A1.

For you, there are still three options: charge, block, no-call. I think any of them may be valid but no-call is probably the best call given the location (underneath the basket) but intent of the players must be included in the calculation.

Under NFHS rules, location under the hoop doesn't matter.

Sell it and be confident.

Agreed, but make the right call.

Z