View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

Per NFHS rules you are perfectly correct. However the coach's concerns should be considered.

NBA has a similar rule with the semicircle under the basket. You cannot guard anyone from there so either get outside the circle or accept a no call.

I believe similar rules are in process for college and I think some high school associations are experimenting with this type of rule.

I would have had to be there to see it, but I think what the coach was suggesting was that you pass on this call - NO CALL.

As with any contact, there is a lot to do with timing. Did the shooter intentionally run over the "defender?" Did the "defender" jump into this spot (albeit legally) trying to defend the basket or simply trying to take a charge?

For you, there are still three options: charge, block, no-call. I think any of them may be valid but no-call is probably the best call given the location (underneath the basket) but intent of the players must be included in the calculation.

Sell it and be confident.