View Single Post
Old Sat Dec 11, 2004, 03:20pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude
A Varsity official brought up a situation in our pre-game the other night about what happen to a young Varsity crew.

Situation:

Home Team A had just scored to go ahead by 2 pts. Team B was bringing the ball up the court, with a few seconds left in the game, and had just passed the division line tableside. Player A1 swatted at the ball and the ball went OOB. After the official's whistle sounded...the timer's horn went off to "end the game".

The officials got together and decided that the ball went OOB before the horn sounded so they should put "some time" back on the clock. They put on one second and gave the ball to Team B for a throw-in.

Player B1 inbounded to B2 in the corner to shoot a 3.
The 3pt attempt went in...horn sounds...game over...Team B wins by 1.
But wait...the center official, opposite table is waving the shot off.
The officials got together and the C said that the clock hadn't started in time. He stated that time would have ran out had the timer started the clock properly.
After a lengthy meeting...the officials decided to count the basket...Visiting Team B won the game...and the officials left the court (quickly) among a chourus of boos.

Watta ya got?

(If you think the game was over after the first horn...what would you have for the second mishap?)
Didn't this happen 32 years ago? I think Russia was Team B.

It sounds to me that the clock should not have been reset the first time. But I wasn't there. There is a lag time allowed, I believe it is 1 second for the timer to react and stop the official timepiece. To put 1 second back on the clock, means that there was 2 seconds on the clock when the whistle went to signal the OB.

So let's say there should have been time on the clock, I contend that above all else, team B must release the ball before the buzzer sounds. This is how the players decide the game.

If the clock did in fact start late, following the B player in the corner first touching it, then I think you gotta reset to 1 second again and go again. Coach A is already going ape at this point and what happens when he reviews game tape and sees that the clock was not properly started?I mean, let's face it: a pass from OB just over the division line to IB in the corner does not lend the shooter to an easy natural flow of catching and shooting.

Sure, the timekeeper might be from A's school, but this is why we need the Precision Time system in high schools.