Old Sat Dec 11, 2004, 12:18pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by missinglink
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by jarecker1
Longtime official first time poster, please be gentle with me, but read on...
A2, airborne from his frontcourt to backcourt, receives the inbounds pass, throws the inbounds pass to teammate A3, who is in the backcourt. I know this is a violation because the exceptions listed do not apply when he throws the pass to the teammate.
My question- where is this play specifically addressed in the rule or casebook? I couldn't find it in this or last years but do recall seeing it in the past (and answering it correctly) on past exams in addition to this years exam. Is it in older books? Thanks.
It is implied in 2003-2004 comic book. 9-9-3 p64: "...provision ...only to the player who secures control while airborne.
mick
I've tried to research it but I don't get it. In the original situation, A2 receives the inbound pass implying that A1 is effecting the throw-in. As there is no team or player control during a throw-in (Fund 2), I don't understand why the subsequent pass to A3 is a violation. Even if A2 intercepts the throw-in pass, I don't understand the violation. Probably because I can't find the exceptions referred to above ("....because the exceptions listed...."). I also can't find the Rule reference/basis for the 2004-2005 Simplified/Illustrated comment in 9-9-3: ".... provision is provided only to the defensive team and only to the player who secures control while airborne." Other than feeling like an abject rules dude failure, I'm having a good day.
NFHS rule 9-9-3 IS the rules reference.
- It states that the exception ONLY applies to the player who got control of the throw-in while jumping in the air from front court to back court.
- A2 established player and team control when he caught the throw-in pass. At that time, A2 also had front court status, because he was in the air jumping from front to back court.
- Normally, by rule, if A2 now landed in the back court, it would be a back court violation. However, the exception allows A2, but only A2, to legally land in the back court.
- If A2 passed to another A player who was in the back court, or also in the air from front court to back court, the exception no longer applies. Therefore you have a pass from A2 who had front court status to another A player who was in the back court. That's a back court violation under R9-9-1.

Don't over think this play. It's just a specific exception to a standard rule. Just remember that the exception only applies to the player catching the pass or stealing the ball, and you'll never have a problem.

The NCAA rule has basically the same exception but uses a different concept of when team control is established.