View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 27, 2001, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah, but 3-4 feet from the sideline makes it tough to watch the plane violations.

Also, you are now in the middle between two "theaters" of action. There is the inbound stuff at the sideline, and the pushing/holding/elbow competition at the low post. You can't turn your head both directions at once.

Sure, it can be done, and obviously works well for many. (After all, it is the official recommendation!) If it works for you, great. I suspect it was not working for some in our area and rather than trying to get these individuals to recognize their problem and figure out a way to fix it, a group solution was provided. The only downside is the extra time for the switch. If both officials hustle, this really isn't much. (Lead blows whistle, trail realizes situation and darts across to sideline. Player finally has retrieved the ball....) Also, Lead may well stay strong side but face toward key, as if already crossed over. You can still get to the other side before a play can develop there.

For me, I like not having to be as concerned about two well-separated areas. But then I'm not as experienced as a lot of officials.