View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 27, 2001, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Ogg
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref

Richard, don't you let the lead bounce the ball to the sideline when it's at the FT line extended & below? This works very well because you don't need to switch on sideline OOB when the ball goes out on the leads line.

-Dan
Dan, we're not allowed to do that here, even though it is "by the book". The issue is that your suggestion forces the Lead all the way to the sideline to referee the inbound activity. The inbound will, be assured, go immediately (directly or indirectly) to the low block on your side. Now the Lead is way out of position to referee that action, and the Trail would have to work through the paint to the action.

So for those sideline inbounds, even below the FT line extended, we switch (and hustle!). Now that said, if the players are young enough or the action not that good, we may do as you suggested. If you know very well that the team involved is not capable of getting the ball quickly to the low block then we might bounce to the lower sideline. But, our association instructions are to switch instead.
Thanks, that's interesting to know. I find that if you
stand a good 3 or 4 feet from the sideline on the endline
and bounce the ball across that corner of the court then you
can stay in position for the quick dump to the post.
As you say it is possible to leave too much to the
trail using the "by the book" mechanic, but I like using
it myself.