Thread: Patient Whistle
View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 09, 2004, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude
Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Most of us went through the same things you are going through at those lower level games.
Hey Z,
Since we went to 3-Whistle here in WA...have you had to do more of those "lower level games"?

We are being assigned the JV and V games on the same night now to make up for the fees lost in 3-Whistle. In fact, some nights we are even being assigned the Frosh, JV and V...three games in a row...to make up for the extra official needed to make this thing work.

So far I've just been doing boys V...and tonight is just V...but Saturday I have one of those triple headers.
IMO, those Frosh games are harder to call than the V games...I wonder if the Frosh and JV coach will "work us"?

BTW, I love the 3-whistle mechanics...so far it is really going smooth. A lot smoother than I thought it would be!
RookieDude,

No, I haven't done any lower level games. Not that I mind doing them though... I really enjoy working those games with a new ref that has potential. The executive board on both our boys and girls association decided we'd do 3-person one night a week (for varsity games only) and just let the varsity guys take the pay hit.

I arrived early for my V game the other night so I asked the two JV guys if they wanted me to do some 3-person with them for the first half. They really enjoyed it... hopefully I didn't screw them up too bad.

I have always found that Varsity games are the easiest to call... boys games are easier than girls - the hardest game to call is a girls frosh game.... so many calls are, "should I call that or not?" :-)

The Frosh and JV coach will only "work you" if you let them.

Yes, I am really enjoying 3-person games too. It's getting me spoiled though. We only do 3-person on our Tuesday or Wednesday games and then back to 2-person on Friday nights because we just don't have enough refs to do otherwise.

The coaches (especially in a fast boys game) seem to really appreciate 3-whistle. The A.D.'s don't seem to get it yet... they just worry about the additional fees they'll have to pay when the trail period is over.

The coach of my game Tuesday has a great sense of humor. In the coaches meeting he says, "the only thing I don't like about 3-person is that there is always a referees butt in my face." Then he says, "the official's butt last week was about 2 axe handles wide and I kept having to ask my assistant coaches, what just happened?"

Z