Thread: Patient Whistle
View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 09, 2004, 08:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FrankHtown
I'd like a more patient whistle, but doing mostly sub-varsity games, it seems the coaches at that level want everything called. Their claim is "How can I teach them what is a foul if you don't call it." A player gets barely brushed on a drive to the basket, and right away the chorus of "AND ONE" starts.

I refereed soccer and they let play go if no advantage is gained, and they even have a signal for it (an upsweep of the arms), but how do you communicate to coaches "yes, I saw it...I didn't consider the contact harmful to your team or player, and I let play continue."

Playing advantage/disadvantage, in my opinion, elevates the game, keeps it flowing, and as long as the players and coaches understand, makes it a fun game. But how do you do that without coaches and players thinking "Good gosh, this guy misses everything."

I'd like some opinions, please
Frank two things here.... 1 is don't let a coach dictate what kind of game you call. If he can't teach what a foul is he should not be coaching. Have a patient whistle. Remember you can always blow a late whistle, but you cannot take back a quick whistle. Don't get in trouble by calling the game the coach wants. 2. When it comes to talking to coaches remember the less you say the better off you are. It is tough for a coach to mis quote silence to an assigner. Respond to questions only, not to comments. Most things a coach has to say in a sub level game are comments. Respond to the questions not the comments. For example; " Come on that's a foul." No need for any conversation here. Just go withthe flow. Responding to this could get you in trouble. No if you get this situation' " Hey why is that a block and not a charge?" "coach, the player was not in position to take the charge." Which brings me to my last point. The coach may say something like, " Well, it looked like a charge from this angle." Never tell a coach he is wrong. Even if he is dead wrong. Remember his say may get you to the state finals or may get you 5-10 more games the next season from the assigner. Your comment back to him maybe of this nature " Coach, you may be right I will keep an eye on it the next time down floor." You haven't told him he is wrong, but you haven't told him he is right. Just some info that I picked up along the way.