View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 08, 2004, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bgtg19
I have seen, in a number of contexts, statements to the effect of: You can't make an official do what s/he doesn't want to do. Setting aside for a minute that you *can* make officials do things that they don't want to do (e.g., pay taxes), I want to pose a serious question in the context of the gender equity lawsuits in Michigan and other places: Is it right that officials should be able to choose to work only boys basketball or only girls basketball? Why shouldn't *that* choice be prohibited as unlawful discrimination on the basis of sex?
Don't know how it works in your area, but in ours all HS games (boys & girls) are assigned by the same person. There are over 300 officials in our association, and we all work a mix. I can't speak for others, but personally I have no preference.

With regard to being able to choose to work only boys or girls games, with rare exceptions, officials are independent contractors. As such, they are free to choose to accept or decline any assignment. No one can force you to work for someone you don't want to work for.

Conversely, assigners can (and most probably will) take this into account when assigning games - turn too many back without a good reason & it might affect your future assignments.