View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 08, 2004, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by bgtg19
I have seen, in a number of contexts, statements to the effect of: You can't make an official do what s/he doesn't want to do. Setting aside for a minute that you *can* make officials do things that they don't want to do (e.g., pay taxes), I want to pose a serious question in the context of the gender equity lawsuits in Michigan and other places: Is it right that officials should be able to choose to work only boys basketball or only girls basketball? Why shouldn't *that* choice be prohibited as unlawful discrimination on the basis of sex?
It's not always illegal to discriminate based on gender. But it's illegal to receive federal money if you discriminate. There are also hiring and firing issues that don't involve federal money, but the point is I can discriminate in how I spend my time. Now if an association discriminated, in how they assigned games, either based on the gender of the ref or the gender of the players, that might be illegal. But an individual can choose not to do girls' games or not to do boys' games if she wants. In that case, it's only herself she's hurting.