View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 25, 2001, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NealH
I had a question from a partner I was working with last night that kinda had me thinking.

Fed rules. Player #5 courtesy runs for the pitcher at the start of the 1st inning and player #6 courtesy runs for the catcher in the same inning. The team bats around and the pitcher gets on base a second time in that inning. May player #6 courtesy run for him even though he ran for the catcher earlier in the inning? That is, is a player who is a courtesy runner for a particular player locked to that player for the whole half inning or can the courtesy runner be any qualified sub?

I told him I thought the players had to run for the same players if they are used in that inning but I couldnt find a reference that said that.
Not only can they not run for the other player in that half-inning, they can't run for the other player in the entire game (and they can't participate on offense in any other capacity in that half-inning -- injury and ejection excepted). See CR-1, CR-3 (they're after Rule 10), and Cases CR.1, CR.5, CR.6