View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 05, 2004, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

I haven't had this happen yet, but its just a matter of time. In my pregame with the players and coaches, I have been reminding them about the POE's. After a short discussion, I let the captains go and ask the coaches to stay. I then ask them if they have any questions about what we discussed or about any other topic. We then discuss any concerns they might have. If they don't have anything, we seperate and continue our pregame responsibilities.

In our association, we have a preseason meeting with coaches and referees. This meeting purpose is to go over rules pertaining to POE's. There are always more officials who attend this meeting than there are coaches. In fact, most coaches do not attend. My feelings are, if they don't care enough to attend a rules meeting, or to get a copy of the rules book and learn them, then why should I care if it comes back to bite them on the hind cheek?

Back n Saddle, that coach had the chance to voice his/her disapproval at that meeting. Jerry was there to field and answer any questions. You did the right thing in assessing the correct penalty for this action. It probably should be changed to a violation. But anytime a player runs out of bounds for 2/3 of the court, he/she is gaining an unfair advantage.

NEMHO