Old Sun Dec 05, 2004, 05:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by RecRefNC
Well, Snap. Missed that one clear and clean.

Thanks for the reference, Mick.

Now a followup-from game management standpoint, would you call the T immediately (understand that it would immediately be called with Middle School or HS) but doing all of my work with rec league from anywhere from 7 yr old "mob ball" to HS rec league.

Looking back (and forward to first games in a couple of weeks), I can easily call this from 14 yr old and up, but would have harder time with younger players.

Thanks for any and all advice.
C
Chris,
For the record, I would rather have the penalty as a violation.
For rec ball, I would be wrong to, but sorely tempted to, stop play, explain the infraction, and give the ball to the other team. Then I'd go get either team next time, if necessary.
...Or I just call the "T" and "forget them".
mick
This is not a new rule, but a new POI this season. I've seen it twice in five years, and both times it was clearly a designed play that the players had worked on. I stopped the game, explained and then said that next time, they'd get a T. I know this is not what we're supposed to do, but I also knew that NO ONE knew this rule and it seemed to me grossly unfair to whack 'em just for being old (the coach) and stupid (the players). I will also note that neither of these situations involved varsity.
I agree, Juulie. Definitely a POI this year. Never had it before, never seen it before. Then suddenly twice in two days, both JV games.

Had a kid yesterday go oob, 2/3 of the way along the basline then come back in to receive the pass and take an open shot. T. JV coach is on my tail about making stuff up. Varsity coach takes the first five minutes of halftime to explain his feelings on it. Partner had a similar situation today, only he'd warned them once already.

WILL SOMEBODY AT THE FED PLEASE REMOVE THEIR CRANIUM FROM THEIR ANUS AND MAKE THIS A SIMPLE VIOLATION?!? As yesterday's varsity coach so longwindedly pointed out, it's a three posession penalty for a simple infraction.