View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 03:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude

I think we may be talking about two different things here.

I realize the book doesn't come out every year...therefore, the current Officials Manual doesn't show proper switches on certain fouls.

BUT, I am talking about the ball going OOB in the frontcourt and going the other way on C's side opposite table.

The following was posted:
In 3-man, the new trail has all back court throws-in. If the ball is to be put in on C's side, the C will go down and become to new L, L pulls back into C, and T crosses the court for the throw-in

If I'm reading this right...it is not what we have been advised to do in this area of the country.

In fact, I mentioned the above quote to a couple of my college official buddies...and they said the way they do it is the old C goes to new L, the old L becomes the new T (administers ball) and the old T (tableside) becomes the new C (tableside).

This "feels" much better...and is how we did it the other night.

Rocky...do you agree?...or are you saying the old T (tableside) crosses the court to administer the throw-in (opposite table)?
The way I read it, both of these procedures are saying exactly the same thing (although one is very convoluted). The difference is that one is going directly from the pre turnover postions to the final postions and the other is starting in the location the official are in before the turnover but labeling what they would be after the turnover (as if the ball had remained inbound as in a steal). Then it makes the adjustment for the location of the ball.

Said another way, the blue one (as I've highlighted above) has the old T first transition to a L by nature of the ball being turned over. However, since the ball is to be thrown in opposite site, that old T/new L instead shifts to the C and the old L/new T must cross the court and the old C/new C instead shifts to the lead.

I've sketched a picture to illustrate this with the colors matching the text highlighted above....