View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 12:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
Quote:
Originally posted by Dudly
Blindzebra....I think I agree with your logic. When you mention hurt do you mean by the foul count or physically? If it's physically I do everything in my power to avoid them getting hurt. With 2 of my own playing ball I am probably one of the worst howler monkeys when I fell the ref is letting too much go and think it could lead to the players getting hurt. Both boys are young so we get the young officials. They have to start somewhere and I try to hold my tongue.
If it's the foul count do you think I should adjust to kepp it even or adjust to keep the consistancy at both ends of the court?
Not trying to pick a fight here, just get some clarification, advise, point of view, etc...

Thanks
I'm talking about being consistent as a crew.

Let's say your partner is calling EVERYTHING, and you only call a few here and there, it is possible that one team might have your partner with his happy whistle more often.

I don't think foul totals are an issue, but what IS being called is. If your partner calls that handcheck you need to call that type of play a handcheck.

The first chance you get you address it with your partner.

How? Now that's the question.

You can say," WE set the tone, so I think WE can back off some."

Or, "Did WE need that call at...did it make the game better?"

The thing is if you adjust, not only is it more consistent for the players, but it allows you to address the issue from WE as a crew are calling too much, and not having a, "How about swallowing that whistle partner," sort of thing.

[Edited by blindzebra on Dec 2nd, 2004 at 03:07 PM]
Very well put, blindzebra. Thank you for your thoughtful reply.

Your suggestions sound very good. And I will certainly spend more time thinking about them. But I'm having a hard time getting past the thought that I would be becoming "part of the problem" in order to help solve the problem.

I can certainly see how your suggestions could work if my parter was calling it a little tighter, or somewhat tighter. I could see how they'd work if there were a specific type of foul, or two, that he was calling and I was passing on.

But what if you are just not comfortable calling it as tight as he is? Do you still go there in an attempt to gain some leverage to back WE off? Do you still go there to make sure it's called uncomfortably tight both ways? That sounds to me like making sure both teams get screwed equally. I suppose that's somewhat better than only one team getting it. But much worse than neither team getting it.

Keep in mind that I'm talking about a sizable difference in how you and your partner are calling, not a small or medium size one.

Assuming you do go there, what if you can't get WE to back off? Do you carry on? Do you effectively let the whistle happy partner dictate how you will call the game?