View Single Post
Old Sun Nov 28, 2004, 12:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by waltjp
A couple of points here in no particular order.

My crew calls the 15 yarder when warranted. I haven't noticed other crews not making the call when it should be called.

LJ, kudos to you and your crew for making the right call. I expect that the people screaming to 'let them play' are the same folks that screamed at you in the first half for missing a pass interference call.

As for getting the number player committing the foul - sure, it's advisable. But like Rut said, it's not always possible. In my Turkey Day game I flagged B for a facemask. It was a run up the middle. Between the linebackers and defensive lineman and pile of humanity involved in the tackle, as well as me tiptoeing to avoid being taken out on the play, I could not tell whom the arm belonged to. Still, that doesn't change the fact that a foul was committed.
It’s absolutely true it’s not always possible to get a number. And Rut is right, a facemask is one where you might not get a number ,especially if you’re on a wing. But that's not what I’m really looking for or what I’m talking about. Having an # isn’t what’s important. What I want is a quality call. One where you’ve seen the whole thing from start to finish. One that you can say “hey that's a foul, yep that was a foul, buy God now that was a foul “! And then toss your flag. If this is how your calling fouls then 95% of the time your going to have the offender’s #. Then you can report it with confidence.