View Single Post
Old Sat Nov 27, 2004, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Gentlemen, the 5 yard facemask foul has become a scapegoat for us as officials.

I am so tired of seeing officials who do not have the gonads to make the personal foul call when the mask is grabbed and the runner's head is turned or twisted. That's a 15 yard foul. It was not the intent of the rule to allow a 5 yard foul to be called in that situation. The intent was to have the incidental facemask called, as officials were hesitant to throw a 15 yarder, for simply inadvertantly grabbing the mask. Instead, officials are using the 5 yarder as a crutch for the 15 yarder, to penalize the offending team but "too harshly," even though the head is being twisted.

It's bull$hit and I'm tired of seeing it.

Okay, I'm off my soapbox now!
I’ve seen this with a few of the newer officials. And I guess a smattering of some experienced ones too. What ticks me off is when it’s reported as a 5 yarder on action that might rate a “phantom foul” at best. And then when you ask them for a number they don’t have one. In my pre-game when I get to W.H, I tell the crew not to come to me with a foul unless you have a # and know the signal. I think this helps us to remember to call quality fouls only. No wishy-washy stuff .