View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 24, 2004, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by wilko
If its really come to the point where rules and philosophy cant be discussed and explained to the common fan then there is a serious disconnect.
Wilko, I don't think that we've come to a point where rules and philosophy can't be discussed. But generally, the "casual" fan doesn't really care about rules or philosophy. They want to cheer their team. They want every call to be in their team's favor. There's nothing wrong with that, either. That's what fans do. But my experience is that most fans (and even most announcers, who are paid to be knowledgable about the game) just don't really care too much about the details of the rules and their application. You seem to be the exception, and that's awesome. I, for one, am genuinely glad that you're here

Quote:
Perhaps thats why officals are constantly razzed and chided.

Nah, that too is just part of what fans do. They want every call to go their team's way. And since obviously that's not going to happen. It's easier to boo than to blame your team or to study the book to find out why the call was made.

Quote:
Perhaps, then, I need to reconsider why I bother to watch in the 1st place.
Nah, as long as you enjoy the game, there's no reason to ditch it, just b/c you run into some grumpy refs If you stick around, I'm pretty sure that you'll actually get a lot more enjoyment out of watching the games, b/c you'll have insight into all three teams on the floor -- your team, their opponents, and the refs.

Keep on posting!