View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 23, 2004, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

JRutledge
Quote:
Maybe the official did not see it as a violation? As officials we study the rulebook and officiate many more games than the average fan watches. We also know the game and understand what kind of things are accepted or not accepted in the game. It is a little more complicated than that, but my point is officials are consumed with the game, not just a team.
Thats a perfectly fine and and acceptable answer. I wish that various "Rules of the Game" segments or whatever you call them, would do more to educate viewers about the things that are or are not accepted in a game. As opposed to "this is a ball", "this is a foul line" kind of bits that I usually see and tune out. Perhaps instead of or in addition to the Analyist and play by play folks, a ref should be invited into the broadcast booth and the audience can get their comments as well..

The good fellow I was initally quoting and replying to said he would ignore the violation.. Thats a tad different in my mind than interpreting the rules so that no violation occured.

Rich and tharbert have some useful points as well, my thanks..
Im really glad officials dont give a darn who wins. I know myself well enuff to know that would never wash. I could not stop myself from rewarding teams I liked or wanted to win a given game and then penalize those I didnt like. I couldnt do it. The ref'ing community is truly better off without me.

I didnt think I was arguing or being combative. If I came off that way it wasnt my intent. Im just a guy off the street trying to gain a new perspective and better undertanding. Its not like I was citing a specific game, players, refs or calls made. If I have to become a ref to get to that place of understanding...,thank you, but no. I'll respecfully decline.

If its really come to the point where rules and philosophy cant be discussed and explained to the common fan then there is a serious disconnect. Perhaps thats why officals are constantly razzed and chided. Perhaps the game should do more inform fans and not tune them out.

Perhaps, then, I need to reconsider why I bother to watch in the 1st place.